Bilderverkauf aller 50 km / Pictures on Sale every 50 km

Monday, June 15, 2009

Roof Tent Experience

 

Gerd asked me how we like the roof tent so far. Basically it is really nice. It is like a home. You open it in a minute and you have your home sweet home everywhere you go. Buuuut......, we had to learn some things.

 

1. Never buy the Chinese product. Maybe everybody knows but although the one German company which is selling this tent gets it from China. We did not have another chance, since this kind of roof tent I could not get in Japan. Furthermore, I did not want to buy the one with the plastic cover since you can not put any heavy stuff on it and it takes all the space you have on the top of your car.

 

2. It gets really noisy and we are sometimes afraid to fly away if there is heavy wind. In this case I cover it now with an additional strong plastic sheet. Do not take a thin one it will be noisy to.

 

3. Isolation: well in the cold areas we had the problem that the mattress was quite wet below in the morning. We were hot (:) the bottom of the tent cold, where warm and cold air meets you have condense water. I bought additional isolation mats, you the one you use in tent. I changed the order of all components several times until I got the best order. Now the mattress is not wet anymore.

 

I do not know other roof tents of this kind but maybe some of the problems you will also have. The two Belgium guys: ....... were also complaining that there roof tent was almost damaged after one year using although they had roof tent from a better maker. I friend of us had a Beduine roof tent which is also quite expensive but the manufacture quality of his one was also not that good. One advantage of the one we have is also that it is not so heavy. It is around 40 kg. I saw the others have much more, but maybe because they are more reliable (:). Yeah and so far we did not get wet but I do not trust in this Chinese product in a really heavy rain.

 

But I still think it was a good decision to buy the roof tent (:).

 

No comments: