Bilderverkauf aller 50 km / Pictures on Sale every 50 km

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The Invisible Net of Western Civilization

18th-19th of October:

Uzbekistan has a lot of historic places. Samarkand is one of these and the next place we want to go. Since we do not want to open the tent in the town we decide to stay in a hostel. In the hostel we meet of course a lot of people from all over the world but not from Uzbekistan. Everybody relax and need to tell some story. So what these stories are about? Mostly how can I get the Visa for country xx or where can I find the cheap hostel. Going out for dinner or lunch, buying some souvenir and coming back to the hostel to relax. That is what most of the travellers do. Most of them are long time travellers. Some "just" 6 months others 1 year and even 20 years. But what have they all in common if they do not hitchhike or have the own car? Mostly they travel along the Guide book like a Lonely Planet. Taking a bus from hot spot A to hotspot B. Meeting foreigners like their self. And of course if you do not hitchhike you almost do not have another chance. I feel that some of them are still at home just staying at a place where they need less money to survive and to have fun. In Samarkand these days I really understood what I always was missing on my backpacking tours; It is the contact, communication and learning from the native people. I am really happy that I have with Kotomi together the chance of this independent travel. We mostly go to places which are not in the guidebook and meeting their the local culture and people. I feel that beside the nature this is the most interesting part for me. Just seeing some monument which is historic does not make me happy, just meeting foreigners which can tell me only things I already know from home does not make me happy;The people of the country I am travelling in, their stories and seeing their everyday life makes me happy. In this way I can learn sooooo much.

So we are in Samarkand and there are a lot of historic buildings to visit.Of course we are here now and we visit them. The Registon, graves of the Khans and historic persons. Paying an entrance fee for most of the places is normal, but having the inside full with souvenir shops is not normal. Anyway that is how it is here. In Samarkand and also later in the other historic cities I somehow feel like in an Arabic and historic Disneyland.

(N 39.65602°, E 66.97924 °)

No comments: